Tenuta San Guido
The Tenuta San Guido vineyards are located on 90 hectares of soil which has particular and strategic characteristics. Part of the vineyards are set on hills at 200-300 meters above the sea level. This is the case of the prestigious vineyards of San Martino and Mandrioli which are located in the central part of the estate while the other ones are located at 80 meters above the sea level. The climate is influenced by the sea and by the hills in the background which protect the vineyards by the cold wind. The vineyards with this kind of location are fundamental to create complex, quality and classy wines. The cultivation method and the very low profit per unit help the production of an healthy product rich of sugars, tannins and extract. In the San Guido estate there are some buildings that deserve a particular attention. In particular the “Castiglioncello di Bolgheri” which is located at 393 meters above the sea level and it is the residential locality the highest in that territory and the “Oratorio di San Guido” the octagonal church at the end of the cypress boulevard of Bolgheri. When Castiglioncello was built around 780, its position made it a perfect refuge and lately a strong fort. During the time this fort change a lot the owner: it was many time property of the Gherardesce counts until 1400, then it was passed to the Soderini family and then to the Incontri. The Cammillo della Gherardesca count re-bought it in 1801 to the Incontri. Those last bought it in the mount of piety of Florence because the past owners where the Soderini family who owned it since 1441 but lose it for an inextinguishable due. To testify these property passages there are the baptismal font of the San Bernardo church and a jamb of a door both with the emblems carved on the stones of the Incontri and Soderini families. These are also located in the weapon room. The Castiglioncello was the first cellar of the first vineyards of Sassicaia. The Oratorio di San Guido is represented in the Guidalberto label and it is located at the end of the Bolgheri cypress boulevard. It was built in 1703 by Simone Maria della Gherardesca in honor to San Guido della Gherardesca (Pisa, 1060 - Pisa, 20 maggio 1140 †) and it was realized by Romolo della Bella. This building was created to absolve the summer precept to reduce the costs and the danger of malaria. This construction gave decorum to the career of Tommaso, the grandchild, who became in 1700 general vicar and in 1702 Fiesole bishop. Some months after the church building in November 12th 1703, the bishop Tommaso Bonaventura was declaimed archbishop of Florence. For many time the “Castiglioncello di Bolgheri” was used as Sassicaia cellar. This was a good solution because the vineyards were close to the castle. Since the 60’s there is a new cellar located in a central part of the estate. It is located on the Cypress boulevard near the oratorio from which the winery took its name. The new winery of the Sassicaia was created by the architect Agnese Mazzei and it is located near the vinification cellar at the end of the boulevard.