Pithos Rosso 2012 Igt Cos
Organic wine

Sicily
Pithos Rosso Igt
2012
Sku: 0660
out of stock

Do you need help?

See all wines

Wine Characteristics

Winery
Cos
Region
Sicily
Wine list:
Sicilia Igt
Denomination:
Pithos Rosso Igt
Vintage:
2012
Grapes:
Nero d'Avola e Frappato
Biologico:
Yes
Alcohol:
13,00%
Dimension:
Standard bottle
Cl:
75cl
Style:
Medium-bodied and fragrant
Pairing:
wild game, Pasta with meat sauce

Descrizione vino

Between the red wine produced in the very important Sicilian cellar Cos we can find the magnificent Pithos Rosso IGT. This wine is characteristic of the Ragusa province and part of the Caltanissetta one. This last one is particularly prestigious for what concerns the viticulture.

The wine used for the realization of this fantastic Biological wine are the Nero d’Avola used for a 60%. The remaining 40% are the frappato grapes. The perfect blend of these varieties which reminds the farmer’s tradition, determines the fantastic red wine Pithos IGT.

The grapes have to rest on the peels, closed in a clay amphora for at least seven months. The amphora are 3/4 buried to contrast the inner strong pressure due to the long fermentation. Another characteristic of this wine is the lack of contact with wood. The refinement takes place in petrified cementer tanks.

 

Also in this case the production territory is the South-east side of Sicily in halfway between Bastonaca and the Vittoria hamlet at 250 meters above the sea level.

The cultivation method is in espalier at 50 cm from the ground and the optimal harvest period is from the last week of September to the first two weeks of October. The fermentation takes place in terracotta amphora of 400 liters each and the temperature is not controlled.

Characteristic of the wine

It has an intense garnet color. The scent reminds the cherry and red fruits but also spices especially the cinnamon, the ginger and other spices which enrich its aroma. The taste is velvety, with a great structure and body with a long persistence on the palate.

Suggested matches

The local gastronomic tradition obliged the match with second course, extremely sapid and structured such as the game, the roasted beefs and humid meat even with lots of spices. 

You may also like