Brunello di Montalcino 2013 "Poggio alle Mura" DOCG BANFI
The Brunello di Montalcino Poggio alle Mura of the Banfi winery is produced in the most dedicated area of Montalcino in the vineyards located in the Poggio le Mura area dedicated for the production of the Sangiovese grapes used since the 1982. The soils are located at 210 – 220 meters above the sea level and they have a brown-yellow color and they are sandy, with limestone with pliocene and rocks. There are used 100% of Sangiovese grapes of selected clones. The cultivation method is the cordon spur pruning and the density is 4200 trees per hectare with a profit of 60 quintals per hectare. There is a manual picking of the grapes and it follows the alcoholic fermentation and the maceration for 12-13 days in steel tanks and Horizon wooden barrels at 27-29°C. It follows the maturation for 2 years for the 90% in French oak barrels and the remaining 10% in Slavonia oak barrels. The wine rests for 12 months in bottle before being commercialized.
Characteristics of the Brunello di Montalcino Poggio alle Mura DOCG wine
It has a deep and intense ruby red color. The smell is complex, captivating, fresh and sweet with prune, cherry, and blackberry and strawberry jam aromas together with chocolate, cigar, vanilla and licorice. The taste is tonic, powerful, and soft with sweet and kind tannins.
Suggested pairings with this Banfi Tuscany red wine
It is ideal for game and red meats or with aged cheeses. It is also good as meditation wine. It needs a long aging period. It must be served at 16°C in a wide wine glass. The proof is 14%.